My most successful project was a self portrait I created in December. This was my most successful project because I was able to express a part of myself with only my art work. The point of the portrait was to show the darker inner thoughts that we all have. I used black stick figure women, created out of charcoal, to represent these thoughts while the rest of my portrait was done in watercolor.
If I could do one project over again I would recreate my firework piece. Although I was overall satisfied with the piece, I felt as if I should have not used pencil to outline the fireworks. This is because once the hot glue was peeled off of the canvas there were still pencil marks. I also would have been more careful using the heat gun because of the hot glue and its potential to melt itself. Once the hot glue melted and the outline of the fireworks were distorted it became hard for the fireworks to have a more distinct shape.
If I had to choose two of my artworks to compare I would choose my lemon and orange pieces. This is because although both pieces were inspired by fruit they are very different. The orange was a more traditional piece with it being a still life and its medium being pastel. In that piece I focused on how light affected the orange. My lemon piece was more modern. Although it was still life I opened the lemon up and captured the inner parts of the lemon. The medium was a lin-o-print with different colored inks. This piece was commonly referred to as the smiling lemon.
I think an interesting new unit would be self portraits but with hidden meanings
This week we were tasked with taking a regular still life object and recreating it in our own, creative way. We were placed into groups, with each group having been given a random object. My group was given a somewhat out dated house phone that created at least 10 minutes of confusion while thinking of a way to recreate a phone. Our first thought was to use cardboard as the medium in order to cause the phone to be able to stand on its own. After tracing each piece of the phone and cutting out its exact shape and measurements we glued them together. In order to create the numbers on the phone we placed googly eyes on the front and then rolled up a few pages of a phone book and placed it in the shape of the phone its self. In the beginning we had a problem cutting everything to exact size and the causing the glue to hold. In the end all member were satisfied with the end project.
This week we were asked to experiment with different shading of still objects. We practiced our shading techniques using different lighting, angles, and objects. There was also the use of different mediums such as charcoal, water color, paint, and chalk. At first I had the idea to create a print using a technique similar to my former blog post with the fish. After painting a slice of orange and printing onto a sheet I realized that it didn't capture the detail or the light the way I would like.
My final piece turned out to be a still life drawing of an orange done in chalk. I made sure to surround the orange in a dark red. I also varied the shades of the background, creating a darker red towards the corners. I did this in the orange its self also, using different shades of yellow and orange to express where the light would be hitting or casting a shadow. Along with different yellows, reds, and oranges I used a dark purple in order to act as the shadow that the orange would be casting. Throughout creating this piece I experienced difficulty while attempting to blend colors in order to show where the light would affect the orange, but was over all satisfied with the final piece.
For total of maybe two days we discussed observational art. The Japanese art form that involves creating a fish print using an actual dead fish. This form of art, known as gyotaku, also falls underneath the subject of observational art. When creating this project I took the time to paint the fish similar to how a real one would look. Instead of painting the fish one universal color, I painted the different parts of the fish different color. The main body was painted a bright orange, while the sail fin, tail fin, and side fin were painted a glittery red, along with a sparkly gold eye. I chose to print the fish on an pale yellow, old fashioned looking paper in order to make the fish appear to be an older piece.